Our vision, mission and values
Our vision is of a world in which all people with deafblindness can be equal and active members of society.
We work in partnership with others across the globe - people who are deafblind, their families, carers and other professionals to ensure anyone facing challenges because of deafblindness has access to advice, guidance and support.
Our values and the ‘I’ statements
Our values underpin our vision and purpose, as they guide us in all that we do:
- Respect for diversity - we embrace diversity, and promote fairness and respect for all.
- Individual worth - we recognise the intrinsic value and potential of each individual.
- Participation and inclusion - we promote opportunities for the most marginalised people to have their voices heard.
- Equality - we actively seek recognition of the rights of all people, and challenge prejudice and discrimination.
- Sustainability - we work with others to ensure that support for deafblind people and their families can be sustained into the future.
The ‘I’ statements put these values into action and describe our behaviours and expectations. They are inclusive and apply to us all - staff, trustees, deafblind people, families, and our behaviour to colleagues in other agencies.
They also flow into our practice, through induction, training, information materials, policies and staff performance. They are set out below.
The ‘I’ statements
I will listen to others
By whatever means something is communicated to me: by gesture, facial expression, body tension or posture, sign language, objects of reference, in writing or voice, I actively listen.
I will understand and respond
I try to the best of my ability to understand what is being communicated to me and I always respond in a timely and respectful way.
I will respect others
I respect and treat others as I would wish to be respected and treated myself.
I will be honest and open
I am open about the reasons for my actions and give my honest opinion knowing that it will be respected.
I will participate and contribute
I participate to the best of my ability and contribute willingly and freely.
I will take informed risk
I consider the benefits of taking a risk as well as what might happen if things go wrong. Where possible I seek to manage risk rather than avoid it.
I will find things to celebrate
I recognise that all achievements, no matter how small they might seem to me, are cause for celebration.
No decision about me, without me
I always seek to involve individuals in coming to decisions that affect them.
First published: Monday 19 August 2013
Last updated: Monday 2 October 2017