Current vacancy: Country Director for Sense International (Kenya)
10 June 2014
Sense International is the leading global charity supporting deafblind people in Bangladesh, India, Kenya, Tanzania, Peru, Romania and Uganda. We work with local organisations and governments to identify deafblind people and provide them with appropriate educational, health and vocational services to enable them to participate in and contribute to their communities. In order to ensure a lasting and sustainable impact we invest in local professionals and organisations, influence governments and advocate for change. It has its headquarters in UK.
With funding support from the Big Lottery Fund of the UK, we are seeking to fill a vacancy for the position of Country Director for Sense International (Kenya).
Reporting to the Senior Programme Manager in the UK who is in charge of East Africa, you will:
- Provide strategic direction and management for the development and implementation of services for deafblind people and their families in Kenya
- Develop and implement strategies for raising funds locally from a variety of sources, demonstrate in depth knowledge of grant management and demonstrate strong transparent and accountability systems in the use of funds.
- Develop annual and multi-year plans and budgets for all activities, monitor implementation, and produce high quality and timely programme and financial reports to headquarters, the donors and also for the beneficiaries.
- Provide a strong oversight on the enforcement of financial systems and procedures as laid down by the organisation
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge of INGO governance in the Kenyan context
- Work in conjunction with advocacy managers to engage government and NGOs to mainstream services for deafblind people in their work; and foster the development of a network of parents, deafblind people, and professionals for the provision of services.
- Build the capacity of partners through training, networking, and ensuring delivery of high quality services for deafblind people.
You will demonstrate the following attributes:
- A track record in managing delivery of community based services for marginalised communities.
- A strong track record of working closely with the government in policy advocacy, and building the capacity of partners to enhance their effectiveness in the provision of services, especially for disabled persons.
- Strong writing skills in generating funding proposals and reporting to donors and other stakeholders
- At least 8 years experience at senior management level working with an INGO
- Clear and extensive understanding of Kenyan context, the INGO sector, demonstrating in depth knowledge of culture, values and sensitivities
- Sensitivity to vulnerable people in general and disability in particular.
- Ability to develop long term plans and budgets and to efficiently manage development programmes.
- High integrity and transparency in all aspects of management.
- Creativity and passion balanced with sound judgement are essential, as are computer skills.
The post will involve frequent travel and you will spend considerable time with deafblind people and their families, partner organisations and government departments throughout the country.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your CV and application letter addressed to the Senior Programme Manager through email@example.com. YOU MUST STATE YOUR CURRENT SALARY in your letter, along with the reasons for your interest. Please also provide your day time telephone contact.
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 20th June 2014. First and second round of interviews will be last two weeks of July. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Download the job description (Word)
Sense International is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
First published: Tuesday 18 June 2013
Last updated: Wednesday 4 April 2018